Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mac Pie....

ok, here it is...
where do I begin....

growing up in South Carolina is where I draw most of my cooking inspiration. Most family's gathered every Sunday for a family meal, sometimes feast. I was privy to more than a few of these and there was usually a MAC PIE on the table. But that's not where I learned to make Mac Pie. My sister and I used to go next door to our neighbors house for dinner A LOT. Aunt Grace and Uncle Manning's house for dinner YAAAYYY!!!...these evenings, I believe would be where we developed our passion for food and cooking. My personal favorite was when Uncle Manning made his roast, broccoli cooked well beyond al dente and.....the ever famous and loved MAC PIE. Top that off with biscuits and sweet tea!!

over the years many people have asked me for the recipe, but the truth of the matter is...there is no recipe that I use or have ever used. My sister and I both make it from the wonderful memories of standing in the kitchen watching Uncle Manning and/or Aunt Grace make our favorite dinner. Quite honestly it still baffles me how much people go nuts for this simple 5 ingredient dish. Now, there are many variations to MAC PIE, but you really only need to keep it to these 5 items: large elbow macaroni, CHEESE, butter, eggs and milk. That's it folks, that is the magic 5. You can play around with what cheeses you like and what kind of dairy you use ( I do use some 1/2 and 1/2), but that is it really. So go to the store and get the fab five and have some fun...your family will love you for it!

I still reminisce about those Sunday lunches and dinners with Aunt Grace and Uncle Manning and what it boils down to is...family. Food and cooking bring family together and make lasting memories.

1 comment: